WordPress 3.1 has just been released and I, as a WordPress addict, am already searching for information on WordPress 3.2. This release is scheduled for the first half of 2011. One thing seems to be sure, WordPress 3.2 will no longer support PHP4 and MySQL4. Besides that I found other features that are scheduled to appear in WordPress 3.2. Here is a list of features that affect end-users:
- Minimum version for PHP: 5.2
- Minimum version for MySQL: 5.0.15
- Download required translations from GlotPress – This means that WordPress itself, themes and plugins are able to download translations from one, group a collaborative, web-based software translation tool. This would help getting translations automatically without any manual searching and downloading .mo files
- Administration menu revamp – For plugin developers the current setup of the administration menu is a lot of hassle. With a rewrite/restructuring of the code this is improved
- User can register/login with e-mail address, no username required anymore, functionality currently available in this plugin
- Timezone suggestion, based on IP address
- To be updated when more comes available, tips are very welcome!